Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Stepping in the Light


The Bible, God’s word written, contains a passage declaring “it does not yet appear what we shall be.” In its context (I John 3:2), the phrase regards the state of our bodies after death. It is not simply the state of bodies but our whole person. It includes our mental disposition or our “state of mind.” It says two important things; (1) we shall be like Jesus is in his post-resurrection state, and (2) that we shall see him as he is. Both these presuppose a state of consciousness after our death.
Elsewhere, inspired by the Spirit, Paul declares “we know in part” and we “prophesize in part,” what then we shall know completely. Paul compares our state of knowledge to looking through an opaque glass where the images on the other side are not clearly seen. He, like John, holds out for greater knowledge at some point in the in unspecified future. This full clarity comes only with the glory following our death.

Then there is the whole notion of natural (carnal) and spiritual persons. Those of the later state have greater discernment concerning the “things of God.” This is covered in I Corinthians 2. In verse 12, Paul speaks of the “man’s spirit” and the “spirit of this world.” He contrasts this to either God’s Spirit (most of the modern translations) or “the spirit which is of God.” The first translation accords with what Jesus promises in John 13ff where he speaks of “another Comforter, even the Spirit of Truth.” Here he is speaking of the Spirit of God, God himself. The translators of the King James Version surely were aware of John 13ff. Yet, they chose to view this spirit as a kind of human intelligence or inspired wisdom. It may be a distinction without a difference. The Spirit of God gives us insights through our minds which informs our reason and instructs our wisdom.

The sum of this teaching about the level of knowledge possible is that there is some extraordinary knowledge available to the spiritual that is not accessible to the non-spiritual. That knowledge is imperfect or insufficient to fully satisfy our curiosity and our perceived “need to know.”

Another to approached this is under the categories of light and darkness. When we were lost in our sin, we had no light. We then had only darkness. Central to our salvation is that we are given the status of “Children (brothers and sisters) of the Day.” When light is used throughout the Bible it often means three things, (1) the understanding coming from God’s word, as in Psalm 119:130 “The opening of thy word gives light. (2) Light can mean moral choice. This is given in Isaiah 5:20 through a negative construction – Woe to those who call evil good and good evil and put darkness for light and light for darkness. (3) Our light is God. “The Lord is my light and my salvation.” (Psalm 27:1) I John 1;4 declares “In Him (Jesus) was life and the light of men.”

Why am I giving such attention to this subject? It is because I am faced with uncertainty. The eye of my mind and my very soul are dimmed with uncertainty. In other words, I feel like I am in dark regarding my future plans. I keep counseling myself that I am to “walk by faith and not by sight.” We read in Ephesians (1:9) that God has made known to His Elect children, that is, His adopted children, "the mystery of His will."

Alas, or praise God, that revealed mystery concerns only or primarily the way He redeems us from death to life. God has provoked a measure of trust in his will to save us and the Gospel itself. Our trust is not in the Good News, per se, but in the Personal God who saves through his Son, Jesus. We don't trust the knowledge because it is true, we trust it because it is declared by One who true.

I keep gathering knowledge concerning my future plans. Where will I serve, how will I pay my bills should I be without a paycheck, where will I reside when the church asked for its house back. Here is what I am learning (again). Our next step in "ordered by God." I think that means our physical steps. If I design a plan to leave my desk and retrieve another cup of coffee in the room across the hall. My first step is not assured nor any step that follows it. I could die before I reach the coffee pot.

I find my assurance in His word because He does not lie. Here is Divine revelation of his love, how God has set us apart for his use, how we are in his hands, and, therefore, we follow in the steps he provides, and in the direction that is solely from God.

Deuteronomy 33:3 (RSV) 3 Yea, he loved his people; all those consecrated to him were in his hand; so they followed in thy steps, receiving direction from thee,


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gary,Wish I could help . Know that I love you and am praying the Lord will give you the wisdom and the discernment you need as you make these tough decisions. Donna

Pam said...

Gary,
Sometimes we get so caught up in the denominational issues that we forget that our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ are hurting in very specific ways.
Psalm 119:105 reminds us:
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. An old Amy Grant song goes on to say, "When I feel afraid, think I've lost my way, still you're there right beside me...
I find that many times that light is just enough for only the next step but He is always faithful. Be encouraged!
pam

Gary W Miller said...

Thank you for your words of encouragement.

Post a Comment