It has been a while since I posted anything on the blog. I
have actually written a couple pieces but decided not to post them. I have received
a modest amount of push back from some folks in my congregation, presbytery and
from an area Executive Presbyter where I was inquiring about an interim
position. I have taken a stance that
seems strange to many but feels just right to me. Personally, I am so deeply
estranged from the PC(USA) that I fear my sense of belonging is all but absent.
Since I believe we are weakened by the secrets we keep, I try to remain open
and transparent even at the risk of being misunderstood or even attacked. I
have demonstrated this disposition in this blog.
This blog is a disclosure and chronicle of my own
personal struggles and a report of some insights I believe I have gained. I am not
a great fan of persuasion. My goal for writing is never to call others to agree
with me or, certainly, not to change their views. I hope to bring some comfort
to those who hold similar feelings and thoughts. I hope to help those who
differ from me to gain some understanding of those who disagree with them.
The congregation I serve is in the process of requesting
dismissal to the Evangelical Presbyterian Church – which is a denomination holding
views and a mission direction that are more in line with those held by many (most)
in the congregation I serve. This is not a settled question for them but the
session (church board) has voted unanimously to recommended dismissal. The
congregation is in the process of expressing their desires to our presbytery’s “listening
team.” This team consists of seven elders and ministers in our presbytery. They
are making a phone call to every active member to ascertain their wishes
regarding leaving for the EPC or remaining in the PC(USA).
I have made it clear to the congregation that I will not
leave the PC(USA) with them as their pastor. That, for me, would violate a
principle I hold to be sacred. That principle is loyalty. The Presbytery of the
Pines did not receive me as a member in order to lead a congregation out of the
PC(USA). This action would not serve the interest of the presbytery. I accept
this as a part of the covenant relationship I have with this presbytery. As
long as I remain a member, I place myself under their discipline. This has made
me a rather strange breed of cat. Many evangelical pastors have left with their
congregations because they are personally offended by the recent changes in the PC(USA)
and because they believe their ministry responsibilities requires them to give
their leadership to the congregation after it leaves. While I differ with them, I do not see my views as the only ethical position possible. For such ministers, my loyalty is misplaced.
I can retire, with full pension, on December 24, 2013. The
pace of this process of dismissal indicates that a decision will probably be made at the
February presbytery meeting. On that date, should this congregation be
dismissed to the EPC, I will no longer be its pastor. I have the option of
paying my own pension dues for the remainder of the year. This will be about
$6,000 but it is an investment that will gain a great return throughout my
retirement years. I have been pursuing a new call in the PC(USA) and in the
EPC. I am willing to serve as an interim pastor in either denomination. At age
63, I am not a good prospect for an installed pastorate. My own sense of
ministerial vocation is that I am called to serve God’s people and proclaim the
Gospel as long as I have enough strength to do so. It does not appear likely
that I will be allowed to do that in the PC(USA) or in the Evangelical
Presbyterian Church.
I think I have shied away from putting “myself out there”
for fear that doing so might make me even less attractive as an interim pastor.
7 comments:
I have admired your integrity about these issues since I knew you as a candidate and I was chair of the CPM. (Wow! That was a long time ago!) Yes, we have disagreed but not alot.
Peace!
Neil
Brother, going back to our days on the earliest PCUSA web communities I have always respected your integrity. Never more than now. (What was the name of our on-line group? It had Evangelical in the title.) May Jesus grant you clarity of mind and peace of heart.
Brother, going back to our days on the earliest PCUSA web communities I have always respected your integrity. Never more than now. (What was the name of our on-line group? It had Evangelical in the title.) May Jesus grant you clarity of mind and peace of heart.
Your striving to serve with integrity blesses many, I have no doubt. My own struggles with the PCUSA have been somewhat similar, although I have a congregation that has no desire even to engage the issues. I stay because I am convinced that God calls me to stay despite the pain of watching this denomination repudiate the Bible and the Confessions. May God bless you as you continue striving to be faithful!
You seemed so old at the time, but you couldn't have been much older than I was.
We called "Fairness for Evangelicals" it began to support evangelicals who were getting hammered in the various discussions with liberals.
John, as you know, we each much act within the confines of our own consciences. There are many who taken the same path as you have chosen. I want to continue serving our Lord. If that means staying in the PC(USA) - honorably retired - I will do so. I would compromise the Gospel, as I am sure you do not.
Post a Comment