There is a wonderful phrase in Paul’s writings. It really
doesn’t matter who said it, it is nonetheless a beautiful thought which I
believe to be God’s words. Here it is, “hope does not disappoint.” That’s true.
Hope cannot disappoint because it is not yet realized. Only that which is done can
disappoint.
Faith differs from hope in that it is a felt reality.
Faith resides or departs from the moment. We don’t have faith in the past, nor
in the future; faith is, by its essence, a matter of the moment in which we
find ourselves. It is not clear to me if faith feeds hope or hope gives birth
to faith.
My first encounter with a serious Christian writer was
Paul Tillich’s Dynamics of Faith. I read it a week after my conversion. While
looking for a book to school my nascent belief, the name Paul Tillich caught my
attention because I remembered that it appears on a plaque on the Roofless Church in New Harmony,
Indiana, where two utopian communities once resided. Tillich died there while
dedicating the Roofless Church, which was a testimony to religious syncretism. While in my late teens, this
place became my thinking zone. I took away from his book
on faith, something I still believe to be true; that doubt is not the enemy of
faith but its countervailing element which gives the heart a dynamic between
two polarities: Faith and doubt, hope and despair.
Eric Ericson developed a pattern of human develop that covers an entire life span. Each of his seven stages has two polarities. According to Mr. Ericson’s theory, I am positioned at the end of stage six called Generativity vs. Stagnation and stage seven which he says to be Ego Integrity vs. Despair. I would assume every stage has it cusp or point of intersection where one is poised between two stages. I am, and have been for a while, at such an interlude. I am either a six plus or seven minus.
I think in terms of my faith
development the answer to despair is hope. The food of hope is faith. Faith is, however,
not self generated. It is a gift from a wise and caring God who dispenses various
measures of faith based on his own sovereign purposes. For a while, God seems
to have, in correspondence to this cusp, cast a shadow on my faith. It seems
that I am at the edge of the shadow and about to step back into the full light
of hope.
I am left with the practical
and existential question: what am I to become in my old age?
I oldest daughter offered her troubled father this passage to contemplate. I did and it fed my soul.
Isaiah 46:3-4 (RSV)
3
"Hearken to me, O house of Jacob, all the remnant of the house of Israel, who have been borne by me from your birth, carried from the womb;
4
even to your old age I am He, and to gray hairs I will carry you. I have made, and I will bear; I will carry and will save.
1 comment:
You are an exceptionally gifted writer, Gary. You succinctly, yet eloquently, express our common human experience and our oscillating relationship to and with God in Christ. Yet, you always, always reaffirm with Whom your purpose and very being resides. So, Gary, I offer you a challenge: when are you going to write a book chronicling this sojourning relationship?
Post a Comment