Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Political Gambit for Presbyterian Women

In our congregation we have two circles (small groups of women who meet for bible study and the various rituals of the “Presbyterian Women” organization.)  Out of a sense of loyalty to that organization, the noon and now evening circle uses the recommended material, called “Horizons.” – It has nine lessons, which takes them through the nine months of their programmatic year.

I reviewed the Horizon Magazine with disbelief. Its scholarship is so far to the left that it amounts to political propaganda using the bible to give its left-wing political message some credibility, The true text was not the Beatitudes but a document from a meeting of Reformed Church representing 90 countries. In 2004 they met in Ghana and produced what they called a Confession.

The author of this study, Dr. Margaret Aymer, does not hide her Liberation Theology while leading a discussion on the Beatitudes. Just as in last year’s study of Revelation, her themes are about the struggle between the oppressor (Ancient Romans and today’s Rich) against the poorest of the poor; what Aymer calls the destitute. It amazes me that the Presbyterian Women organization can persuade a group of politically conservative women to study neo-Marxism with Christian devotion.

They use the material out of mere habit. It is simply associated with belonging to a Presbyterian organization for women. If you belong to that organization you study whatever they send you.  To their defense, much of the language is shrouded in double speak. Instead of free market capitalism the Accra Confession calls it "classical liberal economics" or the "neo-liberal economic global system." She uses words like “greatly honored” for “blessed.” For the “poor” she translates it as "the destitute.” When speaking of the rich (modern rich, that include these very women if the truth be faced) she translates “woe to you” as “shame on you.” Naturally, so to be politically correct, she can’t use words like “kingdom” so she translated the Greek as the “dominion of God.” Her translation leads one to conclude that it is the poor who are to be honor simply because they are poor and the rich shamed simply because they are rich. Do we really believe that being economically poor is honorable and being economically rich is shameful?

She declares “Honored are the destitute, the dominion of God is yours.” Then she claims that the words of Jesus were “deeply political.” The theme of this entire study becomes a political analysis. From herLiberation (neo-Marxist) Theology she tries to demonstrate a struggle between the owners of property and those who own nothing. Justice is achieved only when those who have nothing and those who have relatively more each have the same.

What is her plan for salvation? Is it for all the women in the Presbyterian Women’s organization to take a vow of poverty? Not simple poverty but destitution. The women are invited to consider how they might “honor the poor, the destitute and the helpless” in their communities. If you would ask her, “how is one saved” she would say, if she is consistent within her reasoning, “by becoming poor or destitute.”  She wants the truly rich to be taxed, corporation’s share holders to surrender their invested dollars so they can be immediately be transferred to the destitute around the world. What she commends is an end to democratic capitalism.

I just read a wonderful phrase on the Simon Wiesenthal Center website to describe the action of a General Assembly committee as "a political gambit wrapped in theological garb.” This is precisely what this Bible Study is.

The Gospel is not a stump speech for economic reform; it may however very well result in reducing poverty by inspiring generosity among the rich and honesty industry among the poor. The message our Lord delivers in this sermon is that both rich and poor are “poor in spirit” – the Gospel does address that eternal destiny with the grace giving message of cross, the message of redemption in Christ’s blood, the message of true and eternal liberation. Not only is Karl Marx helpless to save your soul, but history has proven that socialism only serves to make poor people worse off and takes away everyone’s (the rich and the poor’s) personal freedom. I believe it is true that Liberals haven’t had an original thought in two hundred years. The Presbyterian Women are taught to reduce poverty by forcefully redistributing wealth. There is nothing new in that message.

Poverty is real. Hunger is real. There are certain persons who are rightly described as "destitute." To that we all eagerly and sorrowfully accept as true and tragic. Where we differ is in its cause and in its solution. I am intellectually convinced that socialism increases poverty and decreases personal freedom. A free market economy is far from a perfect answer to profound deprivation. I will even concede that;irresponsible capitalism;can also cause suffering. While these are important questions, worthy of any Christian's thoughtful study, this bible study is not that; it is little more than socialist propaganda of the worse kind.

13 comments:

Jody Harrington said...

This has been a problem for many years.

In many of the churches in my area the Circles do not use the Horizons material when they find it too political and theologically liberal. One source of advice about these studies is The Voices of Orthodox Women website which offers sound analysis of these studies in advance (and sometimes has recommended them). When VOW does not recommend them, alternative studies on the same topic are offered.

This year's study on the Beatitudes would be an easy one to find a good substitute for as circles in my church are doing.

Eaglelover said...

Gary,

Not directly related, but certainly appropriate to your comments is the latest information about "poverty" in the USA. I hope you have checked out this website at Heritage.
http://www.heritage.org/Research/Reports/2011/09/Understanding-Poverty-in-the-United-States-Surprising-Facts-About-Americas-Poor

Gary W Miller said...

I read the study you cite. It does not surprise me greatly - hunger, of course, is not only form of privation. There is certainly an underclass in America that represent the least educated and lowest employed - last hired, first laid off. There, however, is no correlation between even this privation as those who are not deprived.

My friend, I trust you would agree that internationally, there exists food shortages and profound poverty. I am sure, like me, this is something we desire to end. Still, it is not a zero sum economy. For every dollar I own, someone owns on less. Wealth is more dynamic than that.

Ben Seller said...

Gary, I appreciate your comments more than you would ever know, and many others in the PC(USA) do too!

Viola Larson said...

Hi Gary,
I am on the board of a wonderful renewal group in the PCUSA, Voices of Orthodox Women. We always do a review of the Horizons Bible study. This ywar we did not recommend it at all. And we did write a review found here" http://www.vow.org/Documents/Doc0452.aspx

Gary W Miller said...

I read VOW's review every year and so does my wife and grown daughter - who has the benefit of a seminary education in counseling. VOW does a great service for our church.

Viola Larson said...

Thanks Gary, I wasn't sure. And thanks for your additional thoughts on Accra.

Neil D. Cowling said...

Is it not the case that any reading of a particular text is from a political standpoint? I have not read the Horizons material, but it seems to me that any critique that makes the accusation of "political" comes from a political position? Is yours the suggestion that somehow "political" is separable from "spiritual"? If so, that too is a political comment?

Gary W Miller said...

Neil, no, I think something that is political can be spiritual, if by that word, we mean something akin to redemptive. I believe that God is working redemption in all of history. God will use the political process to mediate justice, especially to the poor. One cannot read Jesus and not conclude that He, like His prophets before Him, will judge humanity by how the least among us are treated by those in a position to help or advance their conditions in life.

I merely said that the Beatitudes are not political in the way that particular writer is trying to make them political.

Neil D. Cowling said...

OK. Then in what sense are the Beatitudes political if they are "not political in the way that the particular writer is trying to make them political"?

Gary W Miller said...

I am not sure how else to say it, my friend. It would be helpful if you would read the study before we discuss it. But, let me simply take your question on face value. The Beatitudes have political implications in that they have moral implications. I think how we govern our behavior as a nation is an ethical question. I sure we agree on that.

While I think the central message of the Beatitudes is about the helpless state of our souls to ever find salvation apart from the Divine initiative to redeem us in Christ perfect work on the Cross. Yet, in General Grace there is all manner of redemption.

Even the fact that the poor remain part of our society demonstrates our need, as a civilization for God's eschatological mercy which breaks through, in bits, through the working of Kingdom on earth. This doctrine, while true to the whole of Scripture, is not central to this particular portion of Scripture. She makes it central to the exclusion of that is truly central.

Is this muddy enough, or should I keep stirring?

Neil D. Cowling said...

Muddy enough! :-)

Deborah Hollifield said...

I totally agree with this analysis - the PW circles where I serve have used these studies habitually as well; I was shocked when I saw this year's, which is worse than the Joshua study was if that's possible.

Post a Comment