This morning I am preaching, if the Lord wills, on the subject of fear. My text is Mathew’s version of the story of the storm at sea while Jesus was separated from the disciples. Jesus sees their fear and comes to them. It is Peter who separates himself from his fear only to find it again. I know that many who may read this biblical passage better than me; that is, with greater precision. I tend to look for the story and at the characters. Since I preach with an outline the sermons sometimes goes into unexpected places – I trust by the prompting of the Spirit but I know it could be inspired by my lack of communication skills or my impulse to address an issue that interests me.
Some say preaching is the Word of God plus a human personality. I view the content of preaching the way the Barthian views the Bible – it is inspired only to the extent that the Spirit inspires the hearers through it. I believe in plenary verbal Divine inspiration of the Bible. I believe this story to be God breathed.
Some say preaching is the Word of God plus a human personality. I view the content of preaching the way the Barthian views the Bible – it is inspired only to the extent that the Spirit inspires the hearers through it. I believe in plenary verbal Divine inspiration of the Bible. I believe this story to be God breathed.
I first preach the text to my own soul. If it has a good effect on me, then it might have a good effect on the hearers sitting in the pews. Since I don’t (very rarely) select a specific text to address on a particular situation or even a particular subject I let Providence provide the passage for that particular Sunday. I no longer use the common lectionary. I preach through a book of the Bible, without skipping a single verse.
When in a Gospel the story generally becomes the structure for my message. In the story of the storm, apart from a few egotists with Messianic Complexes, most hearers will identify with Peter. He steps out on faith. Others will see themselves in those who remain in the boat. They feared the winds of fates that took them to places they knew were dangerous. Their intended path was no longer under their control. A blind force of nature had taken over the course of their lives. It was a force that neither hated nor loved them. The storm was an impersonal threat. Behind it, they thought was only chaos.
There is at least two other storm stories in the Bible. Jonah, who set out to go anywhere but Nineveh, and Paul being transported to stand trial for his life. Unlike Peter Jonah and Paul bring calm to the fearful crew. Peter only adds comedy to the tragedy with his momentary burst of bravado.
I am afraid as I write this. It may be better if I deliver this message from a disposition of confidence that manifests itself in a calm resolve. “Everything will be okay if we simply place our trust in God who will surely see us through.” I can say that in heartfelt earnest. But that message certainty doesn’t correspond to my emotional state. Maybe this calls the genuineness of my faith into question? Maybe this adds some human element to the measure of faith assigned to me. That element is fear.
Does fear strengthen faith? Does fear cause doubt? Is fear the opposite of doubt? Is doubt the absence of faith? Is this whole question one of theology or psychology? If it is theology, it is one that addresses what John Calvin considers in the second book of his four volume Institutes (our certain hope found in Christ alone) and in the third book where he deals with the working of the Holy Spirit and the Christian Life. One of my favorite quotes from Calvin’s works is this.
The believer finds within himself two principles: the one filling him with delight in recognizing the divine goodness, the other filling him with bitterness under a sense of his fallen state; the one leading him to recline on the promise of the Gospel, the other alarming him by the conviction of his iniquity; the one making him exult with the anticipation of life, the other making him tremble with the fear of death.
John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion - book three, section two.
It is in my flesh that I find my fear resides. In the sanctifying work of the Spirit, that fear is gradually, I am ashamed to admit not steadily, replacing my fears with the joy of the Lord. I trust there is no more fear in that state of eternal Glory. "Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus. Just to take him at his word."
We are having a meeting this Wednesday Evening to express our thoughts and feelings to each other regarding where the congregation stands in relationship with their continued participation in its current denominational affiliation. I love these people. They, each one of them, are the people God has called me to serve as their pastor. As their shepherd I sense an imminent threat to their peace and unity. I’m scared. I must listen to Jesus when he speaks to my troubled mind, “Take heart, have no fear, it is I.”
I'll post the audio of the sermon I preach this morning to panel on the right of this page. It will be the one at the top of this list entitled "fear."
No comments:
Post a Comment