After reading a website dedicated to news about the denomination I have belonged to for fifty years and served in ordained office, as a pastor, for 32 years I called up a voting chart and began counting votes. I looked at the way a particular presbytery voted the last time this question was before them. I assumed they would repeat that pattern.
A majority (88) is needed to change the policy of the Presbyterian Church (USA) so that active, proud homosexuals could serve in ordained offices. Currently, the number of approving presbyteries (regions) is 65. Simple arithmetic proves that twenty-three (23) votes are needed. My count is twenty-four (24)
My tally, if proved true, indicates a nearly 50/50 split among our presbyteries. A survey taken by our own in-house polling office have shown that among members, more than 78% of them disapprove of the ordination of homosexuals. That poll was taken eleven years ago. Another survey was taken in 2008 but their figures are suspect. They do show that 53 % of the members opposing ordination and 58% of the ministers. Perhaps, if taken today, the results would be different. It seems unlikely that twenty eight percent of Presbyterains would change their minds. There is only a nine percent change for ministers to ordain homosexuals. That is conceivable. Still we are around the 50/50 mark.
If those for change prevail, they will be imposing their will on more than half our members and clergy. The question is one of leadership. Would a congregation take action, lets say to build a new building, if the vote on the matter was fifty-one to forty-nine? It is doubtful the church session (board) would go forward with their plans given such a low level of support. After all, having forty nine-percent of your members opposed to an action means a good portion of them will feel they have been placed a stressful situation. Do I support, resist it or just leave?
It is never safe to presume that others share your feelings. However, I must report to you that my esteem for the Presbyterian Church (USA) - not great in the first place - is very, very low right now. I find myself praying, "Please God, get me out of here." This is from one who earns his livelihood as a Presbyterian minister. If I feel this way, perhaps others, whose bonds are not as strongly established as mine, are just as discouraged? With a member of 2.3 million and losing 40 to 70 thousand memeber a year, it is clear well are already becoming less and less viable. This action will not reverse that trend.
If I am right about the level of disillusionment, then does it not seem likely that this decision will gain us a handful of homosexual pastors at the cost of tens of thousands of members and perhaps congregations migrating to more faithful Reformed Churches. I fear that the current leadership, at all levels, which is largely in favor of homosexual ordination will rejoice to see a mass exodus of bible believing members. Especially when they will enjoy the financial windfall when those congregations have to purchase their building or incur large legal expenses when they are sued by their fellow Presbyterians. Under their breath many liberals will say, "Go riddles to bad people."
1 comment:
Yeah, discouragement is a big deal right now. Jesus is Lord, just not of many of those who have refused his claim on every aspect of their lives. I'm praying with you, Gary and for our denomination... as one seeking to return to the PC(USA) missionary appointment process I find myself wondering if there even will be one...
God is good!
Post a Comment