Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Writing Clearly

I once took a writing course. Its central point was that good writing is simple. That is, good writing is built on vivid paragraphs that are constructed by only as many declarative sentences as necessary.

Two values in writing: (1) truth (2) expressed clearly. My mother complained  that my latest church newsletter article was "hard to understand." I read it again and she is right. Here are my first two sentences:


"Sometimes consequences are unintended by anyone except God. In considering the homosexual ordination issue a recurring question reoccurred."
I am embarrassed by them. Even I have lost their intended meaning. Note to Self: "Hey Buddy, keep it simple, keep it clear, or, else shut up."

I think bad writing is self indulgent. It is writing with no one is mind. It is inconsiderate of its readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment