Sociology was my major in college. The head of the
department and I became friends. He once said to me that I was unique among
many of my peers in that I thought like a sociologist. Sociologists try to
cultivate what Peter Berger called “Independent Critical Thinking.” This manner
of thinking is common to every scientist. I believe we ought never to accept
any social event on its face value but rather look for patterns of behavior,
hidden agendas, assumed common values, and even physical groupings.
I have begun reading more intensely in this field. Many
of the concepts I previously learned are coming back to me. It is interesting how
few core questions have changed. There are two schools of Macro Sociology; Functionalism
and Conflict Theory. The only Micro Sociology school of thought is Symbolic
Interpretation.
Most agree that there are three social aims are in sight
for all persons. While variously named they are roughly, status, power, and
wealth. I find the school of symbolic interaction the most entertaining. It is
no use in having power and status if no one will appreciate it. So, you must
find ways to let others know who and what you are and who are what you believe
them to be. It was once said that the perception of power is real power. The
same holds true for status. If I think you have a gun in your waist band, then
I will be just as respectful and fearful of you even if you, in fact, don’t.
Last week I attended a lunch gathering of about a dozen
fellow Presbyterian ministers. After revisiting sociology I began to view this
particular gathering with symbolic interaction in mind. The colleague we were
welcoming had serviced several prestigious pulpits in the South.
He parlayed that into a position on the board of directors for a denominational
seminary. He excelled in fund raising while a board member. This status he
leveraged to a position as a vice presidency of a seminary. After retirement he
was called to serve as an interim pastor at several tall steeple churches. Any
man who has spent half his career persuading wealthy donors to contribute to a
seminary has achieved a high degree of status among the upper, upper middle class
portion of an middle to upper middle class denomination.
A middle career pastor sat to the left this prestigious gentleman.
I sat there to his right pretending to be interested as a two party
conversation ensued between Middle Career guy and Fund Raiser guy. First we
learned that Middle Career guy’s father was also a Southern Presbyterian
pastor. His status was now being defined. Fund Raiser guy knew his father “well.”
A series of names and institutions bounced back and forth between these two men
in a “can you top this” contest. At one point Middle Career guy mentioned a notable
theologian and indicated his intimate friendship with the man, Fund Raiser guy won
the game, set and match with the news that “he was my roommate in seminary”
piece of information. We were all duly or in my case dully impressed.
This thirty-five minute exchange was a fine example of
two men establishing their status in a religious structure. I was mildly amused
and mostly bored until an observer tried to gain entrance into the game with a
comment about a pastor they had mentioned. All three held this pastor in low
regard. To justify this evaluation the third player merely said, “He was one of
those Gordon Conwell graduates.” The whole table nodded knowingly. His
connection with this educational institution, by itself, proved the unwitting
pastor in question was of little worth.
Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary is an independent
seminary near Boston that was begun by Billy Graham and some other neo-evangelical
leaders. Both my daughters and both my sons in law graduated from Gordon
Conwell and I merely reported that fact to those gathered. The comment was greeted with silence, then the gathering was ended. I am not sure what that
fact did to my status, power, and prestige among those gather there. I figure
no harm was done because it is not possible for a status to drop below zero,
which is where my status currently resides.
2 comments:
Gary,
This was an amazing post 7 your status in my eyes is way up there:) Thank you a lot to think about. By the way one of my favorite pastors graduated from Gordon-Conwell-and he chose them after he was accepted by Princeton.
In the south I thought they called that a 'pissing contest'? Isn't life interesting when you can step back and not play their games... They lose all the power over you.
Alan
Post a Comment