There is an old joke about the guy who was trusting God for greater financial stability in his life. So for years daily he prayed that he would win the state lottery. He was disappointed every week that he lost. One of his Christian friends questioned his character because of his gambling. He defended himself by making it clear that he never really purchased a tickle. The pious posture of his friend turned to simply pragmatism: "how do expect God to cause you to win when you don't invest in the price of the ticket?" At that he shrugged his shoulders.
I have been anxious about my future as a pastor in the PC(USA). I believe God expects us to be players in our own lives. (Buy the blooming ticket for crying out loud!). So, I became certified as an interim pastor. My plan is to retire as age sixty-six (about three years from now) then seek out an interim position within the domination I have been an active member of since I was twelve years old and in ordained office for over thirty years. It is certain that folks of the evangelical persuasion will leave PC(USA). This will include both pastors and congregations.Consequently presbyteries will take a definitive left turn. I fear that my chances of interim pastor position in this ever more liberal church grows less and less likely. Added this shrinking opportunity for fruitful ministry is my emotional spiritual alienation from the PC(USA).
I could remain in the PC(USA and wait to see how the job prospects stand after the evangelical diaspora (exile). I could simply go into passive retirement and take whatever pulpit supply might come from where ever. I could also apply to transfer to another Presbyterian denomination. I could, to be silly, and with apologies to Rod Stewart, "steal my daddy's cue and make a living out of shooting pool." (At least my heart would in it if not soul.)
I am in the process of completing a pastoral information form for the Evangelical Presbyterian Church. (Its like a job resume.) If God opens a pathway there into a fruitful ministry I will take that. If God closes that door, then I am truly in a fix. If I remain in the PC(USA) I will either have to swallow my pride and/or minister while in profound disharmony regarding my moral and theological convictions. Clearly those beliefs emerging from this post-homosexual ordination victory national church will view the bible as just one source of insight among others. It remains to be seen what abhorrent manner of living the presbyteries will advocate and promote next.
My fear is that evangelicals like myself, who have been very outspoken against the ordination of homosexuals, will become persona non grata in the new regime. Frankly, I am tired of living in fear. I have found one way out of this be-wilderness of fear is to step out on faith and trust God to provide the solid ground for my foot to find secure placing. The PIF is written and I have secured several persons willing to serve as my references. I believe there is a future for me in the work God has called me to do. I just don't know where and what that will be post-retirement. By completing a resume for another denomination I bought the ticket.
3 comments:
I pray God opens up a door for you Gary
I pray God opens up a door for you Gary
Thanks for sharing your walk with God!
God can do far beyond anything we can dream or imagine.
Yeah!
Post a Comment