Total Pageviews

Friday, January 27, 2012

What is Reformed about ECOP?

The term Reformed is one of art. It does not simply mean refashioned, it means to associate a body of Christians to a specifically defined theological and missional tradition. In other words if we use the term, we must justify its usages by conforming it to a set criteria.To be just plain silly, its like saying "Yes, its true I have pointed ears, I need to purr at times, my face is small with predominate whiskers but I want to you think of me as a parrot. My definition of a parrot may differ from yours and it may run counter to a long zoological tradition but if you will simply accept my new feline paradigm you will find that the name starts to make sense the more you use it."

When the ECOP voted to remove the following line they became something other than Reformed, , "In choosing some, God passes over others" The Divine act of election is monogistic. Without this there is no Reformed Theology. Without it, you have a cat that is being called a parrot. What we see in the new parrot like Reformed Body is possibly Semi-Pelagian or a perverted form of  Calvinism that works under the assumption that God passes over no one and Christ's came to save (better, enrich) all of Creation - both human and non-human. You can imagine no hell, its easy if you try, and no religion too. This is not John Calvin, it is John Lennon. 


This makes the call to discipleship one of good people being invited to become better people through "helping the poor" here and overseas; by showing film clips to current cinematic offerings, by sitting on couches like the cows of Basham, and by encouraging congregations to find their own truth through dialogical sermons or discussions.. Missional theology is not works righteousness, it is "healing the world" post-millenialism. It is calling the secretly saved to bring their innate giftedness to the Fellowship of other gifted persons. 


The "Covenant" in the name is a human agreement with one another - it is not a monogistic Covenant between the Father and Son - sealed in his atoning blood to secure salvation for His Church - whose members were chosen before the foundations of the earth were laid. It is not a Gospel that reaches those who are dead in their sins but those who have a spark of righteousness that simply requires a gentle wind of the spirit of good works and feel good worship to aflame into a small glowing ember that joins itself to all the Illuminati in the Order. It is not even Semi-Pelagismism - it is simply the philosophy of Pelagious disguised in charm.


They throw in "Presbyterian" (I suspect) to satisfy those folks to are wondering why this parrot seems to have whiskers. 

11 comments:

Peter Larson said...

Preach it, Gary.

Dave Moody said...

There's nothing unreformed about being Armenian... they don't have a choice in the matter. Now, I know a couple Arminian Armenians, but thats a different story...

Gary W Miller said...

Dave, it is spell check that does that. I had it right when I pushed "publish."

Neil Cowling said...

Since our buddy Dave got picky, "monogistic" does not appear in any of my dictionaries dated respectively 1967, 1994, 2001. It is not a word in my vocabulary either. I have found mon·er·gism "the doctrine that the Holy Ghost acts independently of the human will in the work of regeneration." I have also found "monogenism n. The theory that all human beings are descended from a single pair of ancestors." Used as an adj. becomes monogenistic. Help me out with the meaning, please, if it is not one of the alternatives.

Peace! My friend!
Neil

P.S. Thanks for the great guidance on finding my blind friend a church in North Canton last summer.

Robert Dooling said...

Gary:

I share your concern with the semi-Pelagian bent of American evangelicalism. Evangelicalism and reformed orthodoxy are not the same thing.

Now, let's see what the spell checker does with that :).

Bob

Gary W Miller said...

I am deeply concerned with some of what I heard in MN from one speakers in particular. He indicated what doctrines he was will to defend and what doctrines he was not willing to break fellowship over. I will have spiritual right hand of fellowship with everyone who names the names of Jesus as the incarnate Second Person of the Trinity. Latitude is necessary in the Church catholic. That latitude narrows in a given denomination. Don't get me wrong a Reformed body needs to have "things indifferent" and needs to exercise charity for those honest differences on non-essential doctrines.

Robert Dooling said...

Gary:

Are God's absolute sovereignty, unconditional election and the total depravity of humankind (making us unable even to cooperate in our salvation) doctrines that you are willing to call adiaphora in the new denomination?

Bob

Gary W Miller said...

I do not consider TULIP something that is a matter of "things indifferent." I would say to deny the doctrine of sovereign grace("I will have mercy upon whom I will have mercy") is to deny the truth of the Gospel.

Divine mercy is utterly gratuitous. It saves sinners while they are sinners, not after they believe and repent but before they believe and repent. The covenant of redemption issues from a transaction between the Father and Son - it is not a deal struck between a helpless sinner and a helpless savior. The sinner is impotent the savior is not. The grace of God is solely premised on the finished work of Christ who truly saves the elect lost and leaves those not chosen in their willful sin and to their just judgment.

Robert Dooling said...

I'll take that as a, "yes." And, I agree.

Bob

Gary W Miller said...

No, Bob, I would consident these doctrines essential and necessary tenet of our order.

Gary W Miller said...

Apart from conjuring Paul, Augustine, Calvin, and Hodge from their peaceful presence before our Lord to testify on my behalf, I don't know how to present a more convincing testimony to my Christian orthodoxy.

I would wish to make it clear that right doctrine does not bring us salvation anymore than right actions. Wrong doctrine does not bring damnation anymore than wrong actions. We remain, as Luther says, (something like) "little idol making factories." Still I say with Rich Mullins, in his song "creed" "we are not making it, it is making us."

A person can sincerely believe a false doctrine (one that necessarily flows from salvation)and be saved - that person is my brother or sister in Christ, a fellow helpless and foolish child of God and debtor to his mercy.

Post a Comment