Just today, I learned that the presbytery of South Louisiana voted to approve the permissive ordination of homosexual persons by some of our presbyteries. My heart sank a little over the news. I recall that perhaps 6 of their congregations withdrew from the presbytery in the past few years. One of the six probably sent a sizable number of commissioners. That presbytery approved this amendment by 19 votes. That is close to the number of commissioners who represented the congregations that withdrew. Surely, their leadership is sorely missed.
Here is the pattern, as I see it unfolding. As a result of this profound change in our theology, morality and governance, we can only look forward to more and more congregations leaving to join more faithful denominations. The fewer of us remaining to uphold biblical standards, the stronger the Revisionist Party will become. Moderates will surely grow even more morally vacuous than they are now. The left will soon be able to rewrite the doctrines of the church and change our order to a more and more sin affirming structure. For now ordaining homosexuals is optional for presbyteries and sessions. Soon it will be mandatory. Even if it is not voted it mandatory it will become so practically when more and more presbyteries are dominated what culture's little change agents.
I am grieving now. (And angry) Deeply grieving! I have searched my heart to try to discover the source of this sorrow and worry. Like the Psalmist I ask "Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me?"
Romans 1:24-25 (RSV) 24 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed for ever! Amen.It is never too late to repent.
4 comments:
I am grieving with you. And trying to imagine what you must be feeling after this many years in the middle of this as it comes to ...this.
First, I doubt anyone celebrated the 1996 change of the Book of Order. You may recall that the action was taken when the majority of the GA-PJC (the highest court of appeal in our church) declared in a report attached to their decision in a case that if we don't put specific language in the Book of Order their decision on the next attempt to ordain homosexuals would be different.
It was to that challenge the first B language was crafted. That measure caused no one to celebrate. I was in the assembly hall when it was declared passed. I know how I felt and I can only guess how others felt. The only visible response came when the Homosexual activists and their supporters literally paraded about the parameter of where the commissioners were seated. It had the mood of a death march.
As for the lateness of my current state of distress, I would response that how and when I grieve is not your concern, but mine only, I do not intend to justify my feelings to any one else other than those who love me.
Gary,
Can we put a boundary on the work of the Holy Spirit? I am so gald for your blogs that put words to feeling I am facing with this change in the voting.
I think it is the work of the Holy Spirit that moves you now in this way. Many are also being moved.
Before God could move the people of Israel out of Egypt, he had to let them experience the power of the plagues, the awfullness of the Pharoah, and the miracle of His helping them in that time. The plagues were a consequence of sin as well as evidence of God's power and miraculous abilities.Then they were willing to follow God out of Egypt! Likewise, the years that we have been in the PC(USA) have brought us to a place to WANT to do His will, even if that means moving OUT. So don't lament the time that has passed in this denomination, but do celebrate what GOD is doing to change us to see His will. I don't know what it will be, but the Holy Spirit is moving in those who are faithful to His word.
You are such a one.
Or consider the early church, who because of persecution and oposition leading to death, followed God's lead and was disbursed for the greater good of spreading the Gospel. Could this be such a time, moving beyond the bounds of the denomination to be "free" to share the gospel unabashed. The Holy Spirit cannot work in a place that is disobedient to His word.
Couldn't this be such a time....where God is again working His purpose in the midst of what is wrong for His church. His purpose will not be stopped.
God will bring about His purpose - maybe it is the end of the Pc(USA) and God is tired of the mess, chaos that divided orthadoxy brings. A house divided against itself cannot stand.
I want a place I can be totally sold out to God, His word, and obedient to calling others to join with Christ. If the PC(USA) is no longer that place, then "God, move me to a place that is in Your will." Isn't that what you are saying? Isn't it the new work of the Holy Spirit - your discernment - that brings you to this place and TIME. When the winds of the Holy Spirit moves - things happen and they are going to happen in a way that all, progressives and conservative, are going to see God's work. Some only see the change in the vote - and are giddy - but some of us see a change that we are now willing to move with God and nothing, nothing can stop the wave of movement when God moves. But He must move our hearts before He moves our feet. Your heart is so moved. Thank you, thank you for your willingness to share your journey - it helps!
Lee, read the post I wrote earlier today. It was not specifically about this current morass but rather a "note-to-self" on Divine Providence.
One of the benefits of expressing how you are truly feeling is that you affirm that others are right there where you. Thanks so much.
Post a Comment