Gaining an understanding of a religion not your own is almost impossible. Maybe it is because of the nature of religion - which some define as a "bond to reality" - that until we are so bonded our understanding of it is never deeper than what might be called "cursory" or maybe better "peripheral." You dance around the edge but never fully grasp it until you allow yourself to be grasp by it. (With me, grasping an alien religion feels like I am adulterating the Covenant of Grace - the redemption in Christ's blood.)
I have enjoyed friendships with Jews and spoken at depth with some about Judaism. On one occasion, while visiting a Jewish friend whose child was in the hospital he asked me to prayer for his child and joined me vocally in our joint petition to God. It felt like we are each addressing the same God.
I recently reconnected with an old and dear Air Force friend - when we last knew each it was long before each of us embraced two different religions. He is a devout follower of Zen Buddhism. When I told him that I was not only a Christian but a pastor, he withdrew from me for a while. This happened after he asked me and I explained to him how I came to follow Jesus. I have just recently re-reconnected with him. I think the challenge of our friendship turned on mutual mistrust. Could he be fully and uncompromisingly a Buddhist in my presence and could I be a candid Christian in his?
Most recently, I have become acquainted with some followers of Islam. Once again our religions test our nascent friendships. In each case, there are aspects of our lives could serve to establish a solid foundation for fellowship (koinonia) but it cannot be "fellowship in the Lord" because we each submit to different lords. It can be fellowship in a shared humanity - we are each husbands, fathers, and grandfathers; we each enjoy the study of religion and find conversations about this subject gratifying.
Lord, give me the spirit of Jesus as he spoke with the Samaritan woman and the wisdom of Paul as he dialogued on Mars Hill in Athens. "I perceive that in every way you are religious."
1 comment:
Teaching Philosophy of religion, I've taken my students to Friday prayers at the local mosque.
I've met several youthful Muslims who have so impressed me with their faith, their continuing search for God and for faith--something that I often find sadly lacking in youth raised "Christian." I have learned much, and value their shared experience.
Post a Comment